Monday, February 19, 2007

When Bone Cracking Sounds Good

Last Saturday I attended a Yoga class with one of my closest friends. Until then, I didn't know that there were so many types of yoga. There are those called Bikram (which is yoga done in a hot room 38 degrees or higher), Iyengar, Ashtanga, and so on and so forth. The class is called Viniyoga. From what I gathered Viniyoga is a slower more individualized form of yoga. This form develops strength, balance and healing - which makes it ideal for beginners, seniors, people with chronic pain or who are in rehabilitation from injury or disease.

Contrary to what I always imagined that Yoga was not so much as strenuous as say doing the treadmill or aerodancing, I was surprised to experience profuse sweating during the class. The movements and the poses that you do (while doing deep breathing) really helps work the body out. Right now, I can still feel my tensed muscles so I'm guessing it helps tone the body too! I loved the meditation part, it made me feel so relaxed! And I swear I could have slept there had I not been conscious that I was in a class with other people!

On the whole, I really would recommend this type of exercise. It is not boring, it doesn't make your heart palpitate, it doesn't make you tired, it makes you sweat and thus lose toxins from your body. Plus, when I told a Feng Shui consultant I met that I just came from yoga, he said that that must be the reason why I had a really good aura about me. :) Even if only for that reason? You guys better try it!

2 comments:

me said...

i've done bikram here...i hated the sticky feeling! so are you gonna do it regularly na? i try to do 5 times a week tibetan exercise and twice a week yoga. they're good for the posture and body alignment and less streneous.

** dreambeliever ** said...

Yup! Going back this Saturday. In the weekdays I do boxing lang, to release my tension and stress! Hahaha. Talk about throwing a punch without getting punished for it :p You should also try it Rivs, it's just like dancing, with the hard twist. :)